The following is a list of characters, along with our ideal casting choices
- GG: heroine. Professor in public health, her research in Cuba and break up of relationship leads her to write Fidel the Musical.
- Fantasy Fidel: In his 40s. He appears and for a while we and are not sure if he actually exists in some kind of ghostly way or if GG has gone mad. He follows her around, and insists on making directives, changing the script and making his opinions strongly felt on casting and directing the musical.
- Charles: A right-wing photographer who fancies GG, whose hobby is re-enacting historical battles.
- Mel: GG’s best friend, colleague and sister in law. A climate expert who believes the end of the world is nigh and is a ‘prepper’.
- Mike: GG’s brother and Mel’s husband, recently dumped for infidelity. He tries to win Mel back with survivalist skills such as archery and growing hydroponic cucumbers.
- Actor playing role of Fidel in the musical: Hugh Jackman
- Russell Brand: wants to play Che Guevara, but first has to prove he’s worthy.
- Actor playing role of Celia Sanchez: Maxine Peake
i.e. actors who play themselves auditioning for part of Fidel Castro or Che Guevara.
- George Clooney and his wife Amal, Brad Pitt and girlfriend: George and Brad debate who should go for Che and who Fidel, while wives discuss Cuba’s human rights issues.
- Alexei Sayle stomps in, does a massive rant about something and stomps out
- Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon argue who plays Fidel and Che and do lots of impressions
- Hugh Grant: hears that they want Hugh, and thinks they mean him, so is very excited, but his apologetic style is not very Fidel like.
- Patrick Stewart: We think he’ll audition for Fidel, but then he dons a black beret.